Wednesday, April 6

Why I Became a Christian

     Since November I've been asked by many people why I became a Christian. I guess it's a little weird that I was atheist one day and a follower of God three days later. Well, people, ask no more. I'm going to take you inside my mind, to my thoughts that late November weekend.
     The first and most important thing that brought me to God is love. Being around Christians (even for a short period of time) exposes you to the love of a family. Not like a biological family. You have to love those people. This is the kind of family you choose to join. The Christian family is one that truly loves one another. It is shown in the way they interact with one another. The first thing I noticed when I started hanging out with Rockers was that they truly loved each other. I had never been exposed to love so deep and supernatural. I thought, "How is it possible for people to love one another this much without God being involved?" This love isn't something that can be described. You have to see it to know what I'm talking about. For those of you reading this who are a part of  Christian family, you know what I'm talking about. It is a bond that cannot be broken but can destroy the walls of anyone's insecurities and disbelief.
     The next thing to bring me to God is beauty. It is impossible (especially with weather like today) to go outside and not see God's wonderful creations. I know it was late November when I started to believe in God, but you can see his beauty even in the worst of weather. The grass, the sun, the wind, the trees, and the squirrels in them were all created by God. I know there is a scientific explanation for their existence, but if you dig deep enough into science, there are things that cannot be explained. That is where God lies. He is in the highest mountains and the deepest ocean basins. It took me until November 2010 to really realize that.
     Some people think I became a Christian, because I wanted to fit in. They think I was "brainwashed" into joining because I was weak and vulnerable at my time of joining Candlewood. To those people I ask this question: If you were to die tonight, how sure are you that you're going to heaven? If your answer isn't 100%, you're going to hell. That's just a straight up fact. God, heaven, hell, it's all real. The reason I was so easily influenced to become a Christian is because I really thought about that. I've been through hell here on earth, and in those late November nights, I realized that the real hell was going to be much, much worse, and it would never end. Eternity living through what I'd been through...times 1000. That is a scary thought. The reality of it hit me in late November. I realized that unless I confessed my sins, accepted Christ as my savior, and started trying to live my life by His example, I was going to toasty-ville as my high school History teacher would say.
     When you put all this into account, why WOULDN'T I become a Christian. It's more than just a religious belief, it's about having a relationship with the Creator of the universe, the Father of all human-beings, the King of the world. The fact that He would want a relationship with anyone is shocking, but He does. He wants each and every one of our hearts. It is said that it is hard to resist someone who persistently goes after your heart. Why, then, do people resist the one who has loved them since the beginning of time?
     I know I became "one of those annoying Jesus people" really fast, but I can promise you this: I'm not leaving as fast as I joined. I'm in this for eternity. If you would like to know more about why I made the leap of faith, you can talk to me anytime. Or, just stay tuned to this blog. I can guarantee I will talk about it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment