Friday, May 6

Po-Po-Po-Poker Face

     So recently I've been trying to teach myself poker. I have it on my phone, so I just spend time trying to figure out the rules and everything. I should have known that I would learn something from it. So, ladies and gentlemen, put on your poker faces, cause this blog is about to go Gaga, not really, but it sure sounds catchy, right?
     The first thing I learned in poker is that sometimes you have to take risks to get anywhere. On my phone, if you increase your bet, the other players tend to drop out, so you can end up winning while having absolutely nothing to work with. Granted, this only works like 1 out of 5 times, so it's best to try this when you actually have decent cards. Anyway, what I learned from this is that if you wanna get anywhere in poker, you have to take some risks. If you fold every time, you are never gonna make any money. You won't lose anything, either, but you will be left forever in a state of monotony. If you risk, say, $50 and end up making, like, $100, then wasn't the risk worth it? By the same standards, if you take a risk and do something you're scared to do, like dance, and end up having a lot of fun, wasn't the risk worth it?
     Another thing I learned from poker is that you gotta keep your poker face on. I'm playing on my phone, so I don't actually need a poker face, but it's still something to think about. It is good to let people know what you're feeling, but not to the extent that they know everything you are thinking and feeling. The Bible says you need to guard your heart. Some say that it is better to wear your heart on your sleeve, but that is only true to a certain extent. If you don't guard your heart, you're putting yourself on the road to heartbreak. If your heart is on your sleeve, it is easier for it to get attacked. This is where the poker face comes in. Some things should just be kept to yourself. Keeping your poker face on is a way to keep your heart protected.
     Most importantly, I learned from poker that everything can give you a lesson. Even the most insignificant things like poker on your phone. There are lessons everywhere you go and in everything you do, you just have to look for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment